FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a destination
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:06 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ejong
I have a commitment outside WDC 22 September and then need to be in Chicago 29 September. A week to do anything in between, flying or driving. Thoughts of hurricanes somewhat of an impediment as far as settling on a destination.

Possibilities:

1) History driving tour to Richmond and then to Williamsburg. This is not exciting me even though I know it's a good idea and I would be glad I went. Husband hankers to see the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond.

2) Have never been to Bermuda. But, hurricane season. Ditto for Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, etc.

3) Paris has been mentioned...I struggle with jet lag and multiple time zones, but for Paris, it might be worth it.

4) Montreal? Quebec?

5) Fly to Chicago and take a driving trip up to Traverse City area? Have never been there either. Hear that Glen Arbor is a nice area.

6) Thought about going to Palm Beach and basking at The Breakers but, again, hurricanes, and I hear it is even more beastly hot in Florida in September than the rest of the hellish summer months.

Have already done St. Michael's, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and I live part-time in NYC so those are not on the list.

I tend to be a planner, but am considering the possibility of just waiting until a week before and gauging the weather. Am I likely to find bargains if I do that?

I know everyone here is a savvier traveler than I am so am looking for suggestions.
You mention some historical sites. So how about Boston? You can spend a couple of days touring historical sites.