FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A couple of questions: valet parking + toll roads in LA
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:32 am
schmusimausi73

A couple of questions: valet parking + toll roads in LA

Hi everyone,

I've read all recent and not so recent threads in this forum, did my research and still need some help with a couple of things.

I'll spend 4 weeks in SoCal later this month. I'll have a rental car and wanted to get my own transponder for the toll roads - we'll be driving from LA through Orange County to San Diego, then to Temecula, and back to LA. I assume I'll need the FasTrak transponder, but then I saw that I could sign up for Toll Roads (ExpressAccount) instead, which doesn't use a transponder.

My question is: what do you recommend - getting a transponder or signing up for the Express Account? I'll land in LA (LAX) on a Saturday evening, so by the time I'm done with customs and immigration, and get my rental car, everything will be closed - no time to go shopping for a transponder, then.

I'd rather not use the Avis transponder due to the associated fees but will do it if I have no other (better) option.

I tried getting a FasTrak account online but they need a US mailing address to mail the transponder to, so that won't work for me.

I am probably overthinking this, but what is the best option for me? Get the rental car, drive to my hotel (Anaheim), and go to the nearest retailer and buy a transponder the next day?

My second question is about valet parking. I realize that this is widespread in LA and I have done it before but always felt like I was fish out of water. What is the exact etiquette? Let's say a valet parking at a shopping center or a restaurant. I stop my car at the valet station, hand in the keys... and then? Do I give a tip now? Do I get a paper slip to keep? When I want to leave again, I tell the valet attendant to get my car? Do I tip him or the man who brings the car? How much? What am I forgetting?

I hope my questions aren't too silly but it would calm me down if I knew exactly what to do and when

Thank you in advance for any tips you might have!

Katie