FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are Airbnb reviews reliable?
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:50 am
Bear4Asian

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gungadin
I rarely look to any review for being positive or not since that can be a very subjective opinion. Instead I read reviews very carefully indeed to find out the most I can about any rental. I check to make sure that the owner listed is the owner of record by googling the name. I talk to any owner personally and ask lots of questions. As with anything you buy, the seller wants to show their product in the best light and the buyer needs all the information that a large purchase warrants. I have rented successfully from Home Away , VRBO, and Airbnb
How do you talk to them. Is there a phone number given somewhere?

Originally Posted by travelmad478
dr freeze, that does suck. There are some other (non-financial) consequences for hosts who cancel reservations, but you're right, Airbnb/VRBO/HomeAway etc. will always have this risk.

To avoid it in future on Airbnb, look for rentals whose hosts have "Superhost" status. To get that designation, you can't ever cancel a booking (among other pretty strict criteria), so it at least means that you will have a host who's never done that in the past. It is also possible for hosts to work out some sort of solution to a need to cancel a booking with the help of Airbnb's customer service desk, like shifting the reservation to another Airbnb property. That would have been a respectful and service-oriented action for your host to take, and it's a shame that s/he didn't try it..
I agree on looking for Superhosts! I chose a Superhost on my first Airbnb rental out of caution. I had a wonderful experience, but I was contacted a week before I was to fly there (to Barcelona from the U.S.) and asked to switch to a different apartment (same building) saying the guest in my original choice had medical issues and needed stay there. I was very skeptical, but had already paid for the stay and accepted. We were given a choice of two apartments when we got there, both bigger and better located in the same building.

The host was very responsive during our stay and helpful with all questions. The place was great! But last minute changes with unverifiable excuses after one pays $2k make it difficult to fully trust.

My review was good, but I mentioned the switch and rated the host 4 stars. He gave me an excellent review 5 stars.

Also, isn't there a private feedback one can give that both the host and Airbnb corporate can see?