FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EgyptAir MS 804 on 5/19/16, Paris to Cairo, Missing
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:52 pm
DC777Fan

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
Can anyone recall a crash in which a bomb exploded aboard the plane, and there was enough time between explosion and the crash that the crew was attempting to put out a resulting fire? In every mid-air bomb explosion I can recall, the plane disintegrated immediately after the explosion.

It could be the fire was set deliberately, but the latest information coming out seems to cut against the detonation of a bomb.
Honestly, it's something that's scared me for a while and an obvious security flaw. I can think of about 10 different ways to start a pretty significant fire on board an aircraft, the requirements of which would not be stopped by any screening procedure I'm aware of anywhere (except maybe the psych evaluations in Israel ... but I suppose that would be person-dependent) - won't put them on the internet for obvious reasons. Given that I have no incentive to dream up such scenarios, I'm scared to think what a motivated person could do.

Even procedures are adapted, tests show the TSA, for instance, finds dangerous items under 10% of the time ...