FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:49 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. It's the spring of 1974 and you are in Hartford where you've just completed a project. Now it's time to have some fun....so head west, young man, in first class! You won quite a bit of money playing poker last time you were in Las Vegas so you decide to try your luck again. There are no nonstop flights at this time from BDL to LAS. However, a one stop service catches your eye and you book a seat in the front cabin. You'll depart at 8:00am and arrive at 12 noon with breakfast and lunch being served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the en route stop.

In 1974, I'll go with a DC-8-61 via ORD.

18. Your meeting in Indianapolis has been successful so now it's time to have some fun. Your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara has called but he's not on his sailboat: he's in Lake Tahoe on a ski trip with several lovely ladies. "Come on out!" he says and you are in. Of course, there's no direct service from Indianapolis to Lake Tahoe so you'll have to connect from one airline to another in California. You book a first class seat on a flight departing IND at 8:00am that will land you in the Golden State at 10:55am with one intermediate stop being made en route. You'll then have one hour and 35 minutes to make your connection and will arrive at TVL on a nonstop flight at 1:33pm which will be plenty of time to hit the ski slopes before sunset in the Sierra Nevada range. Identify both airlines, the respective aircraft types, the intermediate stop following departure from IND and the connecting airport in California. TWA operating an L10 IND-STL-LAX and AirCal operating a ________ LAX-TVL

I was thinking Electra but I think those flights ended iin the 70s. Then I remembered Air Cal running MD80s into TVL. So in the unlikely event that WHBM's excellent call on the 146 is off, I'll offer the MD80.
8. Nope, the aircraft in question was not a Super DC-8-61. Please guess again!

18. AirCal operating an MD-80 into Lake Tahoe is correct! Following the jet ban being rescinded at TVL, AirCal was the first to reintroduce jet service. The airline then replaced their MD-80 flights into Lake Tahoe with B737-300 service which was continued by American for a time following the acquisition of OC by AA. BTW, as you have noted, the Electras were long gone by this time.