FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:38 pm
JoeDTW

Let's try Ottawa and Sault St Marie as the stops on the Nordair 737 from YUL to YWG.

My favorite flight on the 4th was 19 years ago, when I was a guest of Pro Air on their first revenue flights DET-BWI-DET. When I saw a message in the old Airline List (an Email community that was popular in the mid 1990s, before Airliners.net or FlyerTalk) about Pro Air's first flight, on a whim I drove to DET from my then-home in Troy, Michigan, asked a manager if Pro Air would let me fly for free, and was delighted when he said yes.

Pro Air's employees, both in the air and on the ground, were really friendly. However, the neighborhood around DET was so bombed out that as soon as I deplaned, I looked out a window on the "land" side of the terminal to make sure that my car had not been stolen while I was gone. I felt that the dangerous neighborhood around DET would deter passengers from flying Pro Air, and unfortunately I was right.

I still have my boarding pass from the first flight, signed by Pro Air's president, as well as a souvenir cocktail glass presented by the airline, and a green glass paperweight presented by Boeing.