FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do y'all do for a living that requires so much travel?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:31 pm
CarmenOM

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Work in isolated camp overseas and whole family travels for vacation about every 2 months or so on the company dime. Nice gig.
Originally Posted by dgtsf
How in the heck did you pull that off?! Run the company? Own it? What kind of company pays the travel bills for the whole family?!

Awesome deal.
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
One where you are literally not able to leave the remote work site between vacations. We all get the same deal. The deal is 2 x business class tickets to point of hire per year per family member. However, it's just money in a travel agent's account and we are free to use it to travel as we see fit. We (my family) choose only to go home once a year and see the world on the other half.
I spent many of my growing up years in an oil camp in the jungles of Sumatra. We got one two-week local leave a year (frequently spent in Singapore) and a 3.5-month home leave every two years, with tickets back to the US routed as we chose. The company flew us in business, or its early 1950s equivalent) until the advent of commercial jets, when we were relegated to economy class.

Back on topic: That childhood left me with a life-long love of travel. Now retired, each year I usually make one trip to SE Asia and a couple of trips to Europe (including a long distance [~100 miles] walk in England) plus some domestic travel. With creative routings I can earn just enough MQM for PM, using the AmEx waiver for the MQD.