FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picking up at LAX without a flight
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:18 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
In most cases, you will do better renting at off airport locations in this scenario because of the airport taxes. You can try to claim that you didn't use their shuttle, but that might be difficult.
They are much more concerned with people who ride their shuttle yet who aren't Avis customers than with people who are Avis customers but don't bother using their shuttle. I don't see why they'd care.

There's are several hotels within a few blocks from Avis facility. Do you think they don't allow someone who's staying at one of those hotels to rent a car there???

I've rented cars there as a local dozens of times, just walking in off the street every time. (I was doing it because I was "between cars", and I did it at the airport instead of another location because of a big promotional miles bonus at the time. Many partner bonuses don't work at non-airport locations.) It's a long walk from the street to any of the booths, by the time you get to the booth it's not clear that you didn't just come from looking at some cars or something.