FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current safety assessment of Venezuela?
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:49 am
dtokuda

I went to Caracas about a month ago. Generally I would say it's still fine if: 1. you have a connection to deal with currency exchange, 2. you speak at least intermediate Spanish, 3. you stick to the eastern part of Caracas and during daytime hours. Going out at night is still fine in the eastern area in radio taxis. I was told off a few times by my Venezuelan acquaintances for not being as cautious as I should have (I walked a few times in Chacao at night since it was just a few blocks, pulling out a phone briefly during daylight, etc, going to El Hatillo by myself). The shortages are getting more acute and starting to affect even the nicer places (for instance not offering any fried dishes on the menu due to not having oil for frying, or a limited selection of beer or soft drinks). I think you could still have an interesting time, but don't really think it's the best place to go if you don't have a specific reason for going. A lot of areas end up closed off due to protests and it can feel a little weird enjoying yourself at a restaurant where even a cheap meal is a week's pay for the average person and a line of 100 people is outside your window waiting to buy flour.