FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:05 am
SpammersAreScum

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lucky7dawg
I recently bumped up in status to Platinum. I had gold, but didn't take advantage of the upgrades too much (once or twice). I figured with Platinum my chances would increase dramatically.

I recently booked two flights W-F to chicago this week and next week.

I requested an upgrade using my 500 mile upgrade allotment. I havent received it for my wednesday flight but would check how many seats were open and only saw 1. I did notice some bulk head seats cleared up so I figure they got the upgrades. I cant complain with an exit row seat and no one in front of me though.

Now I am in the 72 hour range for my Friday flight as well. I have checked the status of that flight and see 9 open seats in first class. I assume I would clear but it's weird to me that I haven't cleared yet. Any idea on the timeframe that I typically would clear? I would worry if it got to 24 hours because then gold members could potentially clear as well.

Can someone explain to a newb, how exactly this works? If I haven't cleared by tomorrow night, do you think I should call AA or would they laugh at me?
Looking at the seatmap on AA is a bit misleading for multiple reasons: Not everyone who has a ticket has picked a seat yet; AA doesn't make all the "open" seats available for upgrade, even a day or two out; there might be ExPlats still waiting for upgrade.

Also, there's been a fair amount of anecdotal evidence reported in Has AA eliminated the upgrade window [for elites?] that AA is holding back somewhat on upgrading elites at the T-100 and T-72 marks compared to past practice. I hope you'll report your outcome there.

As others have said, calling won't accomplish anything. If it hasn't cleared by the time you get to the airport, make sure you're on the waitlist there and talk to the GA if you're not.