FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline makes passenger move child’s safety seat so passenger in front could recline
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:03 am
samosa

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Unless the kid's seat is in your assigned seat, I don't think it is any business of the other passengers. Allocation of seats is a business deal between passenger and airline, not passenger and passenger. More than few times I had to show the FA proof that we had paid for the seat occupied by kid and carseat, but if another pax had asked me, I would have told them to MYOB.

As for the "right" to recline: I think that ends when it interferes with another passenger's right to use the space they paid for in a safe manner.

Oh, and holding a lap child is really a variation on Russian roulette. Maybe your flight will be perfectly smooth and problem free, or maybe you'll hit clear air turbulence and the kid will go flying - seen that happen and it wasn't pretty.
Exactly-- it's a balance and not a bright line rule. I understand your concern about not wanting to show another pax a receipt but if someone had a problem, I wouldn't hesitate to say sorry you can't fully recline, but my kid's safety is important, we paid for this seat let's try to get you reclined as much as possible while not having the kid's carseat go vertical and him hanging out of it.

I am sure 10 years ago I probably would have felt different, but times have changed. I still remember being pissed off on an AS flight many years ago where my seat could not recline because it was in front of exit row. In hindsight I shouldn't have been pissed because there is a safety reason behind it.