FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United "earnings initiatives" call - 21 June 2016
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:32 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I listened and my interpretation is the cost saving is less about changing policy, but about being more reliable so the OAL rebook isn't necessary to begin with.
Agreed, but we'll see how it plays out with the front line. If they hear that, who knows how it will be interpreted by the agent responsible for rebooking you.

I had some unnecessary pushback on a recent delay that would have necessitated an overnight. Only way out was AA. Ultimately got it, but it took the usual fighting that's been the case since the merger.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
What I take from the PDF is be careful what you wish for. For UA to improve their financial status, in part they will need to do what DL and others have done--downgrade their customer's experience. I didn't see much good news in the presentation.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I fly both DL and UA. The DL experience is superior in nearly all aspects. From instant ticketing, to on board service, to baggage guaranteed at the carousel in 20 minutes.

This is where I'm afraid UA will follow DL and clamp down on OAL rebooking when it is needed.
I haven't had much issue with DL getting rebooked on OAL. They've sent me to AC, UA, AS, even AA (AA before they cut ties with them).

DL's cheap and anti-customer in the OAL rebooking area. They would rather keep you captive on them and wait, wait, wait. The 5-to-1 ratio was evidence that DL doesn't like to rebook, not because they were five times less likely to need it.
Nonsense. DL has rebooked me on OAL plenty of times. And even on shorter delays, DL opens the floodgates and lets you rebook on any DL flights with space to/from any alternate airports (and then some).

UA doesn't even post known delays the way DL does, and even if a delay is posted, the UA IRROP tool doesn't let you change flights sometimes until it's too late.

A delay on DL is far less stressful than a delay on UA.

Originally Posted by spin88
United is in a box of its own creation. It now has large numbers of corporate deals at 40+% off. If it lowers its pricing to attract fliers who are not tied in "unmanaged fliers" to use Jeff's old term, people like me (and I think you), well then it lowers its cost to the managed flier to way below what OALs are charging.
Don't forget the loss of MileagePlus as a draw for many customers. By tinkering with both the earning and redemption side of things, many customers have lost interest in MileagePlus as a loyalty program. When combined with the service issues already noted, it's going to be difficult to woo those folks back.

DL's domestic revenue gains have come from the backs of its customers. UA will have to do the same if it wants to match. It needs to make the product less valuable. It needs to make more while giving you less. I don't want that at UA.
Giving you less? Have you been in a SkyClub lately? The food, beverage, and decor blow away UA's Clubs. Have you been on a DL plane in, oh, the last 3 years? Free PTVs, power ports for everyone (not every other like UA), plus USB. Pillows in First, water bottles, etc. Best on time in the industry and guaranteed baggage delivery in 20 minutes.

Not sure what you mean by giving less, seems that DL gives you more for your money.

Maybe the real problem is UA's unreliable operation is getting people OAL'ed to DL, they experience it, and never come back.