FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United "earnings initiatives" call - 21 June 2016
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:56 pm
minnyfly

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by transportbiz
There is zero objective support for that position. DOT completion and ontime stats corroborate Delta's statements.

My own experience with DL was very much the opposite. On an award ticket from LAX-LHR-JNB my outbound from LAX was going to be about 45 minutes late, there was no serious risk of misconnect, but DL proactively rebooked me through the app with notifications on AF in FIRST class through CDG for the entire trip. I ended up in JNB 2-hours earlier that planned. Hardly what I'd call cheap or anti-consumer.
The objective evidence does not support your position. When DL made that move, they were the clear industry leader in excessive and overnight "delays"--the situations where OAL rebooking is useful and important for good customer service. The ratio was not 5-to-1 with AA in OAL opportunities. It was more like 1.66-to-1, and AA has more daily flights to boot, so there need will be naturally higher.

And the subjective evidence backs up the policies. One only needs to go the DL forum.

Originally Posted by BearX220
I think most objective observers would peg today's UA customer experience well below DL's, actually.
The hard part is too find an objective observer. Don't know if they can even exist.

DL's domestic revenue gains have come from the backs of its customers. UA will have to do the same if it wants to match. It needs to make the product less valuable. It needs to make more while giving you less. I don't want that at UA.