FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should FlyerTalk move from an elected advisory board to an appointed advisory board?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:28 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think the TB serves a really important role. It gives the CD a user focus group, a sounding board and management advice. What it no longer does is reflect the will of the community. Both because 'the community' no longer exists site-wide; rather FT is now made up of many mini-communities. But also because with <500 people voting it is clearly not a role many posters care to have representation in.

If Carol and those of us who do care deeply about the management of FT are ok with that, the that's fine.

But if we are missing out on a best practice around this then we ought to think hard about it.
I'd venture to say that most members, to the extent they are aware of TB at all, only know about the fairly small number of threads in this forum about actual or proposed motions - some of which are miniscule matters like an obvious name change to a forum. Which as noted upthread is natural as the site has matured and stabilized.

You've noted that TB still serves important functions not immediately obvious "outside" of it, and I certainly take your word that it does. Maybe if the membership were more aware of that behind-the-scenes work and what it means for the site, there would be some uptick in interest and participation in elections, etc. which would keep some new blood circulating through the board. No, we won't ever have crazy-high participation rates - even real-world elections don't have that - but it could help.

And I don't mean simple descriptions like "it's a good sounding board and set of advisors for the CD". That's all well and good, but what are the positive results and impacts to the site, because of those TB advisory role functions, for example?

I'd add that some of what ends up being alluded to by some TB members in forum posts, or leaked out, regarding the TB inner workings isn't always helpful to its perception...i.e., comments about interpersonal conflict; a "bad apple" or two; superfluous drama. So maybe some positive PR would help.

Or maybe none of it would make a difference to elections and as you said, the site has just grown past the point where there is any meaning in discussing "the community" on FT.

What do other large internet forums do in terms of management and direction of the site?