FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this really how gold qualification works?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:44 pm
magnummike

Programs: NZ*E, Qantas Gold, Accor Gold
Calculating qualifying Status Points to go UP a tier.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Rolling 12 months has always been 12 months with points expiring on the day. It'd be extremely unfair if it was monthly, some people would effectively get 13 months.
I am prepared to be corrected here (please don't flame me!) - in my bid to regain NZ*E (after being NZ*E for 5 years then brutally falling short and going to NZ*G for a year (#firstworldproblems)) I set up a sheet to track where I was and what I needed to make it back.

They say on the website that they check each day to see if you've earned enough in the last 12 month period. Intuitively, this would mean that if it was eg June 21st 2016, the system would look back to June 21st 2015 and include any SP earned in that period - and going forward it would add a day and drop a day each time - right?

I discovered, to my horror, a slightly different reality. I found that it totally ignored any SP earned in the whole month last year - ie - you're on June 21st 2016, so it would look back from there until July 1st 2015 - ie it disregards any SP earned in June 2015. This rule applied from June 1st.

Once I'd figured this out, and adjusted my calculations accordingly, I then figured out what qualifying flights I needed to make and more crucially, by when.

My calculations worked down to the last SP, as I have now just successfully got back in the NZ*E club!