FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to look less like an American when travelling
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:06 am
Proudelitist
Suspended

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...as-you-travel/

Interesting article this morning. It tells me all of the things I SHOULDN'T wear, not a lot of advice on what I SHOULD wear. It also doesn't mention jeans, which I thought was also a dead giveaway of an American.

Any suggestions beyond what's in this article? Or should we all just go with Birkenstocks with knee high socks & nothing else?

Best is not to be one of those uber tribalistic types who thinks everyone cares where they are from and wears a shirt with the US Flag on it...hell, even in the US there is usually a middle aged guy at the airport who HAS to wear a shirt indicating what state he is from when he travels.

But it comes down to place. In the western world, I don't care if I seem clearly foreign. But in some places it is better to not be so easily marked, like in Brazil where you stand a better than average chance of being mugged.
It's not just that an American would wear dockers and a golf shirt while walking past a Favela, its that the clothes are clean and new.