FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:26 am
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
How are people finding the difference between the two hotels lately?

I am looking at spending a long weekend there with the in-laws in the first part of 2017.

Thinking of booking the one with points and the other with BOGOF certificate and some £££'s.

I am leaning towards the Intercontinental Hong Kong and not the Grand Stanford from what I've read.
As an RA I would say it is a no-brainer to normally stay at IC-HK over the IC-GS, especially if you can afford to book HV Room for upgrade to Dlx JS , versus booking basic room for upfgrade to Sup JS.

If you have never been to HK before and are unlikely to again, ICHK great HV versus ICGS poor HV is another reason to choose ICHK, plus ICGS HV room are angled side of building view (if you take upgrade) poor and IMHO so poor as to be valueless.

Reasons +/- For and Against both
IGCS
- Have to choose between upgrade or lounge
- RA is upgraded to J-suite, HV is are angled side views, and is very dissapointing
+ Lounge access allows Restaurant breakfast foc
- Lesser view of harbour than ICHK.. You get angled side view and see very little from the 2x RA J-suites per floor.
- Taking upgrade gets j-suite at with side view but further away from harbour
- Even booking a HV room, upgrade is to J-Suite nearer the harbour with side view of harbour.. imho also a poor HV
+ Junior Suite is a proper 2-room Suite (with large TV in each room)
+ Lower basic rooms rate than ICHK
+ AE shuttle bus stops at IGCS (does not goto ICHK)
+ Allow to take room upgrade then usel/buy lounge (cheaper than other way)

ICHK
+ Do not need choose between upgrade or lounge, RA gets both
+ Superior HV from any HV room at ICHK (versus angled poor HV from J-Suite at ICGS)
- Pricier room rate for rooms at ICHK
- Rooms upto and including Exec Suite are just single rooms (w/o even partitioning)
- AE station shuttle does not goto ICHK. (take a taxi, cheap enough in HK)
+ RA currently always get Lounge whether award or paid stay plus upgrade
- Lounge access does not allow breakfast in restaurant foc
+ Much superior HV from any room HV, Sup J/S, Dlx J/S
+ Upgrades RA on award (Basic entry levelroom to Sup J/S)
+ Book HV Room as RA upgrade is Dlx J/S OR Book Dlx J/S for Exec Suite (dont book Dlx HV as upgrade is Dlx J/S)
+ Dlx J/S and Exec Suite shower cubicles are also steam rooms (Sup J/S's is not)
+ Restaurants = 3x Michelin Star restaurants if you are a foody
+ ICHK minibar is much better, has far more and better content (ICGS is OK as it goes)

Last edited by scubaccr; Jun 20, 2016 at 6:37 am