FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:08 am
DrunkCargo

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by D582
I've normally had such good interactions with YVR staff, but that's just weird.
YVR is hit and miss. I find if you appear lost and confused, and genuinely asking for help, they're totally awesome.

Like with AC*A on my BP, getting a J BP usually gets me amazing assistance from the priority checkin staff. They remind me where the MLL is, remind me how to use fasttrack, explain how to get to the swing gates AFTER the MLL, etc, etc... like I'm some newb who has NO expectations.

With AC*SE I felt like there was disdain that perhaps I felt I knew more than they did, so some odd defensive stance takes foot from the start. Like "I have to show this SE I know more than him/her." I felt I was being helpful by being specific about what I wanted, even using their terminology correctly, which was frequently met with disbelief that I was perhaps correct in my request.

Me in YUL general check-in area: "Can you direct me to ticketing?"
Agent at start of roped line: "You can get your boarding pass here." (points to special access counter in the distance)
Me: "No, I need ticketing. I want to buy a ticket with money."
Agent points again to the same stupid counter.

At the counter, I'm told I'm in the wrong place and that I need ticketing. This happens a lot.

I'm learning it's better to just be as stupid as possible. And, it's a lot easier... why am I doing their job for them?

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
He's not the only one.

The last time I tried to use the domestic priority counter to get checked-in for transborder it was a chore. The agent was frustrated with my request, and, of course, the frustration didn't subside when it worked.

I guess they don't see it much.
I'm a third gen Vancouverite. This is a super righteous city. I find Quebec has a similar feel to me. I think cost of living and disenfranchisement in YVR is really messing things up more. Remember, Green Peace came from Vancouver... (I'm not against their ideals, just the holier-than-thou righteousness snobbery) Reminds me of the lay cliche "your freedom ends where my nose begins."

I suspect the frustration shifted from a frustration of disarming an opponent to a frustration of admitting fault. Both result in the same sour face typified by many AC employees.