FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
I'll be flying the competition (AA) for my next two flights. This will be my first defection from Southwest in many years, but Southwest earned it. I will go out of my way to avoid paying them double the normal price.
Today was my first non-Southwest domestic flight in years. It was an A321 on AA. Economy minus legroom was better than Evolve. A320 seats are also a little wider that B737 seats. It was SFO, so of course the flight was late. I have no standby priority on AA so I couldn't get on the earlier flight. But I hung out at the United Club during the delay, so no harm there.

AA's boarding was a complete zoo, something for them to be ashamed of compared to Southwest's orderly and efficient lineup.

All in all, AA fights using Avios are worthy competition to today's Southwest. Yesteryear's Southwest would have won going away.

Edited to add: My return flight on AA today was very different. Lots of gate space at SFO, audible announcements, and orderly boarding. Seating on a 737-800 was just as tight as Evolve, but the seats appeared to be fully padded and soft rather than Evolve's thin, hard padding. Load was 100%, possibly due to the NBA playoff game last night.

AA flights would add at least 30 minutes to each trip, so I still prefer Southwest when they aren't trying to gouge me.

Last edited by nsx; Jun 20, 2016 at 9:31 am