FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International Travel, "Spinners," Durability, Delsey (?), & Your Advice
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:03 pm
hapuna

International Travel, "Spinners," Durability, Delsey (?), & Your Advice

I am taking a new position that requires periodic extensive international travel in Asia, including a somewhat epic (epic for me at least!) 3 week long jaunt through 10 Asian cities (think Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, Hanoi, etc.) with tons of flights in between. I don't have the "right" luggage for this - at least I'm pretty sure I don't!

I currently use Victorinox soft-sided rolling luggage (I don't know the name of them - purchased them over the past few years - but my carry-on looks like the current WT-22 style and my larger bag is the Werks Traveler wheeled duffle like this http://www.zappos.com/victorinox-wer...160618035159:s).

I've had good success with them (worth the investment I think) but I am frustrated that my larger ("checked" bag) doesn't stand upright typically when heavy/full. It's supposed to, but it always seems to fall over. It's also soft-sided and I've had it get "smushed" (& the contents beaten up).

I need something that is first and foremost durable, but I am also thinking of branching into the "spinner" world (colleague who has done this line of work before suggested that "spinners" were best for navigating travel in this part of the world, easier to move around in crowded places/conditions). I've never gone the "hardsided" route but I also have had several people recommend hardsided luggage for international travel in Asia.

I like what I'm hearing about the fancy Rimowa and Briggs & Riley (?) luggage, but I just can't stomach paying $600 for a suitcase, given that I know it's undoubtedly going to get beaten up.

On the other hand, I keep reading reviews online about various brands that mention wheels breaking early in ownership. I am a bit anxious about having a luggage problem on my inaugural 20-something day trip, given that I will be going "full-speed" each day and taking night flights between cities with colleagues. In other words, there isn't any time on this trip to find replacement luggage....especially in some of the places/cities where I'll be....so durability is really important to me.

Lots of people on here have recommended the Delsey. Can anyone speak to the differences between the "Aero" and the "Titanium" lines?

I have heard conflicting issues regarding the 29" bag and whether it will get called out for being "non-compliant" with some Asian carriers (considered oversize). Has anyone had this happen?

I'm semi-tempted to go the "cheaper" route and buy a Samsonite or the like and just replace once or twice a year as needed...except, I'm worried about the wheels. Am I being overly anxious about the durability issue?

Other brands anyone would recommend? Particularly specific models? I'm looking for checked luggage - fairly large but not so large that it might be oversize and/or a 5'4" petite woman wouldn't be able to navigate.

Thanks!