FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ketchikan for 3.5 days in April or fly to JNU as well?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:04 pm
nineworldseries

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Yes, I'm definitely prepared for rain, although surprisingly, April is one of the driest months of the year in Ketchikan. It's actually the 4th driest month, historically:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usak0125

So I'm remotely optimistic we may only get some, rather than torrents, of rain. I also considered the weather when debating the JNU excursion. It's a tough airport to land at in perfect conditions, so I would be concerned about delays and getting socked in there (or in KTN) and have it really disrupt the trip.

I also thought about cars, and I've decided that if we stay in KTN the whole time, I'll likely rent a car for at least a day so we can explore the island. I know the bus system is good there, but I think it would be worth renting a car, even with the lack of extensive roads.

I also thought a good day excursion from KTN would be the ferry to Metlakatla and back, which I've always wanted to see. That also gets us on a boat, which is great since the touristy boats won't be running in April.