FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nicest/best hotel room/suite you've stayed in
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:18 pm
Pickles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
I wonder what the replies of B Watson, QuietLion, speedbird and Pickles are to this thread!!!

Please take a moment to post your "best suite(s)" here, I would really appreciate it.
</font>
Honored to be lumped among such august company. Anyway, here are a few I can think of, which I did by mentally scrolling through geography. I can't really rank them, except the last one, which I think is my all-time favorite, for some strange reason. Also, some of these were quite modest in price, including my all-time favorite, which was I believe no more than $150 USD or so.

(1) One-bedroom suite on the 5th floor facing the beach at the Copacabana Palace in Rio. I felt like a movie star from the 1950's. Thank you FHR. B Watson claims the existence of a 6th floor in this building, with even more exciting suites plus a private swimming pool.
(2) Amanjiwo room facing Borobudur in Central Java.
(3) Amanusa double upgrade suite (thanks again FHR), facing the ocean with its own pool.
(4) FS Punta Mita suite facing the ocean, with its own pool. This was during my honeymoon.
(5) A "cottage" at Royal Malewane in Thornybush, Kruger, South Africa. This place was amazing. It was on a raised platform, had indoor/outdoor showers and a small pool. The "indoor" shower was one of those rainshowers, but there were no shades/curtains in the bathroom, so you could shower while the animals took their bath outside at the watering hole.
(6) PHT one-bedroom suite, although I prefer the corner Park rooms with a view of Mt. Fuji from the bathroom.
(7) Tawaraya and Hiiragiya Ryokans in Kyoto. Full-service indeed, great hot tubs.
(8) A room with a garden view at the Japanese wing at the Kyoto Miyako.
(9) One-bedroom suite facing Central Park in winter at the Trump International in Columbus Circle, NY.
(10) One of the theme suites at the Mandarin Singapore. One room had the bedroom and bathroom, the other had the living room, and the third had a dining room for 12 people. Thanks again FHR.
(11) A corner harborview suite at the MO in HK during a class 8-9 typhoon. The MO, in their infinite wisdom, have installed double pane windows at all the balcony windows and doors. But not just regular double-pane, but the two pieces of glass are separated by about 1 foot of cork lining around the edges. While the typhoon raged outside (unbelievable winds and very, very loud), the inside of the room was anticlimactically quiet. The room itself could use some "refreshing", but I imagine they are working on it. Knowing HK, this might involve tearing the whole building down and starting again, but so be it.
(12) My all-time favorite. Room #401 here. It was during my honeymoon. This room was very simply furnished, but it had this incredible 360 degree view of the Japan inland sea, plus the wall art were Keith Haring lithographs and paintings. The building, designed by Tadao Ando, has to be one of the more impressive buildings I've been in.

[This message has been edited by Pickles (edited Jan 31, 2004).]