FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:24 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not a
married inventory" issue though. It's a display issue. If it were a married segment issue, you would not be able to clear into R for the single segment.

(and sorry for the nit, but I'm on a crusade against over-use of the married segment nomenclature)
For 'R' it's not a married segment issue because (as far as we can tell) R space uses per-segment inventory. But it's worth noting that the following segment combinations each produce distinct inventories:

UA527
UA841
UA527 X/ORD UA841

The third is usually similar to the intersection (minimum) of the first two, but may take adjustments in either direction at the whim of UA RM. When displaying a revenue search with a fare component applied from IAH to PEK, Expert Mode tries to build inventory for the married segments, but some fare classes aren't amenable to this.

I actually don't know what UA will do when trying to do all of the following for two or more segments:

• apply a fare component (uses married inventory)
  • apply an award fare component (uses married inventory)
  • change (reissue) one or more segments, but not the whole fare component (uses married inventory, I think?)
  • change (reissue) one or more segments on an award ticket (???)
  • SDC one or more segments, but not the whole fare component (???)
  • clear a waitlist for I/IN/O space (???)
  • clear an instant upgrade (???)
  • clear an instrument supported upgrade into R (uses per-segment inventory)

or whether the latter two behave differently into R or PN (I would hope not).