FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Room Hacking a.k.a. the Leatherman Bandits
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:14 am
Proudelitist
Suspended

My biggest annoyance in any hotel room is light pollution. I like to sleep in complete darkness, and yet these days there are bright lights on every device in the room. The red led on the TV to let you know it's off (????), the led on the smoke detector, the bright display on the thermostat, the led on the coffee maker, the light seeping under the door, the light seeping around the drapes, and even the light from the electrical switch in the bathroom with the breaker switch, and the clock radio display.

So i put the extra pillows infront of the crack under the door, carry a safety pin to close the gap in the blinds, cover the TV light with one of the tv pamphlets or sign stands, unplug the clock radio, cover the thermostat with a few post-it notes. Black electrical tape is also good for some small lights, including in the bathroom (But I just shut the bathroom door at night). If you can get up to the smoke detector, put some black electrical tape over it.

I also unplug the fridge, as I can usually hear the compressor and I never put anything in there anyhow.