FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MCT at LAX
Thread: MCT at LAX
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:10 pm
danielonn

For me I like to take the MCT and then double it just to be safe. I don't mind a 60-90 minute layover vs a 30-35 minutes in case the inbound flight is delayed.

For instance I will be flying from SJC-LAX and then LAX-PEK-BKK on Air China as they have no interline agreement I have allowed 4 hours(with enough time to check in) on the outbound and 5 hours on the inbound as they are separate tickets.

For our SJC-SEA-YVR trip when I booked the ticket for the 3:00 PM flight arriving at 7:08 there was a misconnect in SEA so I was able to book on the 6:55 AM flight arriving in YVR at 12:08(which was my original choice but costed more) and I knew that these Delta Connection flights change times.

It was a win-win I was able to get an early flight into SEA with a 90 minute MCT on the outbound and an almost 3 hours on the return with time to go to the lounge.

I have seen far too many people run to make their next flight and to me it seems like they may or may not be aware of the MCT. In fact I think the 35 MCT at LAX even if its in the same terminal is too little due to the runway construction and ground delays. I would much rather have a 75 minute MCT time than a 35 MCT time.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to contradict me but I always look up the MCT times when I book any ticket especially or domestic-international and international-domestic . I always factor in 90 minutes for customs+10 minute walk to Terminal 5 at LAX +30 minutes to check in+60 minute TSA line with enough time to go to the lounge.

On the outbound I will be one of the first at the Air China counter when they open. I figure a 5 minute walk to the baggage claim 15 minutes to claim bags and a 10 minute walk to the TBIT 30 minutes for checkin and 60 minutes or so for TSA. I always give a bit more time than I need especially with the long security lines.