FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is weird. I've been watching fares for July 4 and 5 daily for weeks. July 4 has held at $113 and July 5 at $123. No way will intra-CA flights sell out at those prices.

Today, exactly 3 weeks out, the price for July 4 dropped to $69 for all times except one. The July 5 price is still $123. July 1 and 2 are $138. July 3 and July 6-31 are $69. In no universe does this pricing make any sense.

At this point I'm following the pricing for entertainment, since I have already made plans to avoid flying on July 4 or 5. I suppose I would travel on July 5 if the $69 fare appeared, but I don't really care one way or the other.

I have been favorably impressed with the ease of booking AA flights with Avios, especially the instant redeposit at a cost of only $5.60 if you want to cancel and rebook a different time. Because of this and good AAvailability I plan to stop booking any high-fare dates on Southwest.