FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:34 pm
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by redtoesblue
Is there anyway around this? Perhaps changing the name on the account to a living family member?
Changes Available via the My Account Section

You may make a one-time change to the first and/or middle name of your AAdvantage account when you also store your Secure Flight Information at My Account.
All last name changes, as well as any other changes that cannot be handled via My Account or AAdvantage Customer Service, require a written request and supporting legal documentation. Please submit these requests via FAX to the American Airlines AAdvantage Department at 817-963-7882.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/nameChange.jsp

Also, you would like have to change the date of birth of the account name holder as this is part of the Secure Flight requirements, which I'd bet is impossible barring extreme circumstances and would definitely require manual intervention.

For reference, on my personal account, I am unable to change my middle name, last name, date of birth, or gender online.