FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Luxury Hotels of Peru, Please
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:36 am
LM225

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
On the route, I would be tempted to switch the order of MP and Cusco. Cusco is much higher than MP and you are likely to enjoy it more if you are more acclimatized to the altitude. Also, Tambo del Inka has its own rail station with trains directly to MP so you would save yourself a lot of time. The train wouldn’t be the Hiram Bingham but the Vistadome trains are very comfortable and travelling from the Sacred Valley to MP is much quicker. Doing this would probably allow you to have only one night at MP (morning train to MP, afternoon exploring MP, overnight, morning for Huyana Picchu if you fancy it and train to Cusco in PM) which might give you an extra day in Lima if you want it.

On hotels, at MP, I would recommend the Sanctuary Lodge mainly because of its location – it is the only place right up by the ruins meaning you can be the last people in the site in the afternoon (magical once the crowds have gone) and pop back easily to your hotel for meals / breaks etc during the day. The only access to the site otherwise is by government run bus (or a very steep hike) which is mayhem. The rooms at the Sanctuary Lodge certainly weren’t glamorous (more like a 4* Hilton) but the location cannot be beaten and the food and drink was good.
Very helpful, thanks. It seems that the MP <> Cusco switch is a prudent one, and pretty easy, logistically.

And thanks, too for the note re: SL. I'm beginning to think that the luxury of the SL's location might be of more value than the (reportedly) higher-end hard/soft product of Inkaterra there. Seems like a very special experience to get MP to yourself once the last busses leave.

Originally Posted by DSI
1. Definitely take the vista dome from Tambo/Sacred Valley to MP. I wouldn't do the HB train, and during March it may not even go back all the way Cusco. You can get the train tickets online easily.

2. We stayed at the Inkaterra rather than the Sanctuary. It's definitely an older crowd at the latter, and I enjoyed the Inkaterra ethos more. But they both are a bit of a tour bus type of place and the food at Inkaterra wasn't very good. Having said that, since we were with a 4 year old it suited our needs.

3. I wasn't a fan of Cusco and we stayed at Palacio (and got an upgrade so that our son could have some space). It was fine, the breakfast was excellent. But I guess we just didn't enjoy it a whole lot and liked the excursions from Tambo, and saw a lot of the things like Ollyntambo, Salt Mines, etc... which were very interesting.

4. The Tambo excursions were excellent, and perhaps we were lucky since, like almost all the guides we've had (like Amankora, safaris, etc...) they see young children as a breathe of fresh air at these places.

If I were to do Peru I'd opt for something in the Amazon + sacred Valley (Cusco stuff can be done, sort of) + Inkaterra MP + Hotel B for great food. Tambo was good, but the furnishings were super basic and a little cheap. I'd probably regret not seeing Cusco if I did the above, but I think it would have fit my interests most.

LIM > PEM (reservica Amazonia) > short flight to Cusco > trip down to valley (45 min car ride that you arrange with hotel) > vista dome > MP > train (not HB!) + car to Cusco > Lima to enjoy some fabulous food.

I'd probably contact Inkaterra and book through them as they have a spot in the Urubamba that looks more interesting to me than Tambo.
That's right, I forgot that you guys went not too long ago! Thanks for this, all very helpful. Did any of the Tambo excursions stand out in particular?