FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SEA to ??? How would you fly?
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2016, 11:35 am
Bear4Asian

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by wlau
Shanghai (PVG) and Beijing (PEK) are pretty good from SEA. It's too hot right now but should definitely cool off by your planned time frame.

Shanghai has a lot of European flare and its air is pretty clean by Asia standards. It can be pricey if you hit up the prime areas, just like any big cities. Tons of great shopping, way more luxury brands and stores than even Beverly Hills but a lot of affordable places to shop or eat as well.

If you want affordable, I highly recommend Taipei, Taiwan (TPE). Very westernized but everything is very very affordable of all the major Asia cities. there are a lot of outdoor/scenic things you can do - a lot of beautiful places to visit.

Hong Kong is pretty nice but it's very costly...

If you want to split up with your GF, you can find cheap flights on other airlines:
China Airlines (Sky Team), or Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong, Korean Air/Asiana via Seoul. You can usually find very competitive fares in that region. RT Fares to Shanghai was as low as $550-$600 a few months ago and should come down when vacation seasons are over.
Shanghai is a fascinating place and late October/November is a good time temperature wise.

Google flights searches today find RT non-stop flights for just under $600 for that time period.

https://www.google.com/flights/

Whereas Delta flights e.g. for London, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona are upwards of $1200 or more

I agree with wlau that Taipei is a great alternative. And I find it cleaner air and better food than Shanghai. I also find it easier to navigate the subway, trains, etc there.

Google flights shows $600 plus for RT to Taipei.

Cheers for a great experience wherever you go!