FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:04 am
Romain_

IC Moscow Tervskaya March 2016

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Not particularly.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked basic room. Guaranteed RA upgrade not applied at check-in apart from "a room with a nice view", so I asked if club access was given (I can accept the lack of upgrade if there's something else instead). Was explained that they never give club access for free as they want to keep the lounge exclusive. I explained that I understand that, but then I would insist on the room upgrade. Was told that Royal Ambassador benefits do not apply on Ambassador rate, which I seriously questioned, but the policy was confirmed by the duty manager.
Once in the room, however, the receptionist called and told me that after checking with IHG I was correct, ambassador rate is not a rewards night (no kidding... the ambassador rate is usually 150% of the normal rate...) so I would be given lounge access.

How are the rooms?
Good size and bright. The room is a standard modern room, not exceptional but good taste. The bathroom is very nice.
Nothing to complain about.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very quiet, unsurprisingly. The list of allowed guests had less than ten entries, even though the hotel was over 85% full according to the staff.
Good service and fair choice. English sometimes a bit difficult. Interestingly, the only vodka was... French (Grey Goose).

Did you receive a welcome gift?
A small souvenir. I was also offered a bottle of wine at check-in but said I had no use for it.

How was the minibar?
This hotel offers free minibar to all guests. While this is a nice touch, it also means that, like every free minibar, it is very basic: water, juice, beer, soda - two of each. So, as an RA, nothing great.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
Nice room. If this is the basic room, the suites must be impressive.
Very relaxing lounge
I appreciated that the reception clerk made the effort to check with IHG and get back to me.
Free minibar for all

-Bad
Well, the whole check-in was a bit ridiculous. The fact that almost no-one had access to lounge despite the hotel being almost full means that obviously some people in suites were upgraded from lower rooms. So they decided to upgrade other people and not upgrade an RA when they were supposed to, all this to end up giving lounge access after explaining that they never do it. Beats me. They could have given me an executive room or a small suite and be done with it.
Considering this was confirmed by the duty manager, this is clearly a hotel policy and not an individual mistake.
I'm not complaining about the end result, but the fact that I had to argue and insist for a supposedly guaranteed benefit leaves a wrong impression.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Average I think, plenty of comparable hotels at similar prices, some better located.

Would you return?
No. The hotel is good on a lot of aspects but not exceptional on any. There's plenty of other international hotels in Moscow that are probably as competitive, so I'd rather go to one that rewards brand loyalty.

Last edited by Romain_; Jun 8, 2016 at 6:15 am