FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why can't North American restaurants serve red wine properly?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:57 am
VivoPerLei

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So were you happy or unhappy to end up with the more expensive wine?
I wouldn't have known the difference at the time. Years ago, just out of college, out with a couple of friends and ordered one of the cheaper wines. Didn't know enough to look at the bottle. End of the night, the check arrives and we notice they stuck us with a $150 charge for the wine. After much arguing back and forth, they finally remove the charge. Maybe they thought we'd simply be intimidated and just pay. Happens often to unsuspecting people who buy drinks for girls in dodgy bars, but that's another story...

On a more recent note, last year I was in Greece and had an outstanding pinot noir in a wine bar. Told the sommelier that I wanted to buy a bottle to take back. Got it home and after much fanfare, opened it and immediately noticed something wrong. Couldn't quite identify what was off, but luckily I had taken a picture of the first bottle in the bar, and after comparing the two I spotted the difference - they had given me a different vintage. WineSearcher then confirmed for me that, comparatively, it was a lesser vintage, and cheaper. Dang it