FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:40 pm
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Approved for $3,900 CL, called and got the option to upgrade with another credit inquiry. Wasn't expecting an under $5k approval. I had reduced CL on my existing Alaska card to $5k; I have another old cash rewards card - should I ask for credit to be moved from that? Or should I try the second application today? Or just give up

Edit - just checked, I only have a $1100 limit on that cash rewards card. So only $6100 of total credit limit from BofA, 800 credit score and they won't approve for over $5k. Any ideas?
Was the first app today? If so, getting another HP today doesn't matter, as they will combine and only show one app having been done. If you do it the day after the first app, then it will show up as two.

Easiest option is probably to reapply right away, hope it goes to pending, or temporary denial, based on the first app. Then call Recon and they will probably approve the second app for a Sig, and you can cancel the just approved Plat.

There is also a process to have B/A replace the first app with a Sig, but it takes 2 months to complete is a total PITA.

Having gotten a mere Plat means absolutely nothing about your credit rating, or even what B/A thinks of your credit rating. Twice in the past I was instantly approved for a Plat, reapplied right away, and Recon had no problem at all approving the second app for a Sig with a significant CL. B/A is just weird that way.

If the first CSR you get doesn't seem to want to work with you, just politely say goodbye, hang up and wait a minute or so for that CSR to move on to the next client, then call back and get someone more responsive. Don't even begin to think it's a lost cause until you've been turned down 4 times, which I sincerely doubt will happen.