FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - French strikes, strikes, strikes
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:53 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by brunos
It is clear that the French government is applying huge pressure on AF management to settle and some poster here believes that such a strike during the euro soccer cup is impossible, and he has a case.
I have booked all my European travel on other airlines, just in case.
To be clear, what I said was that a strike affecting the free movement of supporters to the matches is virtually impossible. There can still be strikes that don't have an affect on attending matches. So all of French airspace and rail service will not go down, but it's certainly possible that some flights from one particular airline could get cancelled or delayed. Or that the RER or some TER lines don't have 100% service. But still the most likely scenario is no transport-related strikes at all.

The worst case scenario is that there is a big disruption on June 10th or 11th which affects the matches and then the government brings down the hammer. But I think the unions realize how futile and nonproductive that would be. They would be giving the government the excuse to bring in outside forces to run transport which would have all sorts of negative consequences.