FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CONSULTATION: A3 meet-up thread (closes 30th June 2016)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:52 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am not a regular of the A3 forum anymore, but I do have two lines of thought I'd like to share:

a) why would a meet-up-thread require moderator action for it to be established? Either there is a community demand for such a thing and then there will be user created threads (which easily can be turned into a wiki once there is enough traffic to the thread) - or there really is not much demand from the community and then there will be no such threads.
The BA example looks exactly like the AY meet-up wiki, but the latter needed no moderator action what-so-ever.

b) I do see the point of sub fora keeping meet-up-wikis. Many FT'ers are very close to their airline / program and might already have formed a relationship online. Then it is a nice thing to be able to meet-up while on the road.

But if moderator time&energy is needed for these wikis, I personally much rather would see that energy used for a global meet-up thing. (There is "flight-connect" but it is pretty dead and pretty cumbersome to use).
If I am about to set off for a trip and have some boring layovers, is it likely I will spend time and energy looking into ten or twenty different local meet-up threads in every possible airline/program sub fora? If I fly A3 to LHR and then onwards on a oneWorld carrier and I put my meet-up info in the A3 wiki, what is the likelihood of ever hooking up with another FT'er?