FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2.5 days/3 night in Hanoi - does travel to Sapa worth the trouble
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:03 am
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by hxhbk
In my opinion, you need 1 full day in Sapa at the minimum to make the trip worth the driving time. It does not look like your current schedule will support that.
Seems so. Now, if one decides to visit sapa, what mode of transportation is the best in terms of time/comfort? How much time one would need at Sapa itself and what are ways/modes to explore it?

The Moc Chau plateau area is quite beautiful with the rice paddies in stair case formation and the villages of the local ethnic minority. With your current schedule, I would suggest to stay at the Mai Chau Lodge, in the town of Mai Chau (about 3 hrs from Hanoi by car), located on the southern end of the Moc Chau plateau. AFAIK this is the only decent place to stay, unless you are OK with the homestay approach with the local folks.
I am completely OK staying at homestays, did this at Hoi Ann - with $22/night it was excellent value.

I did this Mai Chau itinerary several years ago as part of a longer trip: Hanoi - Mai Chau - Son La - Dien Bien Phu.
How much time did you spend on this? How did you travel from site to site and how explored the site after arrival - by foot/bike/etc?

Originally Posted by Daawgon
Sapa is awesome and worth it, but with so little time in Hanoi, I would stay right in the city because the city of Hanoi is so special. I also do not recommend any bus service - the train being far safer.
Could you tell me what makes Hanoi so special? If it is like Saigon, I would have no intention to go there - I've been in Saigon close to 6 times and after first time it was only used as a transit point.
At the same time if Hanoi has charm like Hoi Ann - I would not mind to devote one day there.

Originally Posted by thebug622
Do not attempt the drive on a M/C and take at least 2 days its a loop drive
Question - does it make any sense to rent a card and do driving on your own? I really want to minimize time wasted and restrictions imposed by logistics.

Originally Posted by chrisphh
Personally, You should book night train to travel from Hanoi to Sapa.
How does it rate in terms of comfort/noise/ability to sleep? Any safety problems? I personally would not have one but my wife has elevated sense to be safe in a public space.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:10 am