FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short trips from Warsaw
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:42 pm
helosc

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I followed your advice today & was disappointed. Have you been?

For starters, Zyrardow fits the bill......43 km from Warsaw, 25 min by train from Warsaw Central. There are lots of brick and mason stone (row) houses. The architecture is uninspired and the only lofts I saw had hair & nail salons. I did find a nice outdoor mkt. and the cathedral (Matki Bozej) was packed with parishioners. Lots of drunk young Polish men (endemic in rural areas?).

Much more interesting was GROZWA Madwicka. A bit closer to WAW, nice shops, central square and rests amd some interesting HISTORY!

Buying the train tix was an adventure. 9.50 Zloty one way, 11.03 rtn. Why the difference? The answer (so it seems) is their are 2 companies on the same route! Who knew? Sounds like Great Britain after Maggie Thatcher.
Thank you very much for your feed-back.

I still think I'll visit Zyrardow - I find its history interesting and I don't expect fancy buildings or anything; after all they were built for factory workers.

What is a mkt? (market?)

Grozwa Madwicka - I assume you mean Grodzisk Mazowiecki :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grodzisk_Mazowiecki

Looks like a nice small town and it is on the train line between Zyrardow and Warsaw if I take the slow train, so I could easily stop there on the way back to Warsaw - thank you for the suggestion.