FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stay with AA or Start with BA
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:11 pm
hiima

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would suggest that with that profile of travel, you will be better off staying with AA, espeicially when the earnings change later this year

Earning redeemable miles at 11 points per dollar for paid 1st class travel would sound like it will rack up lots of points to the account

For redemptions between Europe and Asia/Australia , I believe that BA redemption costs are higher plus there will be siugnificant cash surcharges to pay

For London-Sydney, for example,

AA oneway rate in business class is 85k. Unless travelling on BA, there are no surcharges to pay, just taxes
BA oneway rate in business class on BA is 125k offpeak plus £212 surcharges and taxes
For travel on other carriers and for travel on BA on peak days, the rate is 150k plus surcharges and taxes.

for 1st class AA charges 115K whilst BA charges 170k/200k plus surcharges

For somewhere like HKG, BA redemption rates are 102k/120k plus charges in 1st class vs 90k with AA. business class rates are similar in miles cost with 75k/90k using BA miles and 75k using AA miles

I think that you will likely be earning higher mileage whilst crediting to AA plus will have lower redemption costs
After dollar based RDM goes in effect, mileage earning can vary wildly.