FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond experience: SF Tuscan, GC Squire Inn, BC Ruby's Inn, Silver Saddle Estes
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:42 pm
kcaluwae

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Diamond experience: SF Tuscan, GC Squire Inn, BC Ruby's Inn, Silver Saddle Estes

Here's a short review of the mentioned properties and how my diamond status was recognized there.

BW Plus The Tuscan (San Francisco)
I loved this place. It felt like FS Marriott or Hilton. Both the look of the hotel as the quality of the service. We were very professionally and friendly welcomed, the lobby area was really nice as was our room. Not really big but you're off course in San Francisco. Room Service was quick (quicker than in many other hotels I have experienced). Location of the hotel is really good for Fisherman's Wharf. Prices of the mini bar and the restaurant are fair. What was expensive I found was the parking (valet only). If you plan to park overnight and need no in-out privileges there are cheaper options nearby.
Diamond recognition: Thanked for loyalty during check-in, I don't know if we got an upgrade but we had a good room we liked on the 4th floor. When we came back in our room on the evening of the first day a nice bottle of wine with a note of the GM was waiting for us.

BW Premier Grand Canyon Squire Inn
This is a motel like hotel. When I made my reservation I had asked for a room in their newest building. Apparently all rooms in this building are deluxe rooms and I had booked a std king. So we were upgraded to a deluxe room. The room was nice with a large TV, a modern airco system and some design elements (like the alarm clock). You could notice everything was fairly new. The amenities also seemed to be of good quality. I made my booking quite late and I did not find the room worth it's $250 though.
Diamond recognition: As I said when checking-in we were upgraded and they did every effort to give us a good room in the new building and away from the ongoing constructions. We also got some luggage tags which is their present for platinum and diamond members.

BW Plus Ruby's Inn
Leaving this hotel I have mixed feelings. This is a very old-style motel like hotel and it's huge. It caters to tour groups a lot we have noticed. Upon arrival the lobby was filled with a chinese tour group (after that we en countered more Chin and French groups). After a long trip I was hoping for a somewhat more relaxing environment. On top of that the receptionist couldn't put on a less disinterested face. The receptionist next to her was much more welcoming with the guests he was checking in. The room we had looked old, loud & noisy AC unit under the window of the room. It makes a lot of noise but doesn't manage to cool the room. Washbasins and bathtub had the faucets you needed to pull, in fact you needed to pull so hard my wife didn't manage to open the faucet herself. When taking a shower the bathtub made such loud cracking noises I was afraid it would really crack. The light switches were faulty installed ( serial instead of parallel) , if you switched of the light in the evening in the bathroom you could not switch on the light when re-entering the room. Lastly the light in the bathroom needed 5 minutes before it started giving some significant light.
Service was on and off our whole stay, in the restaurant and trading post we both encountered personnel that was very friendly as well as the complete opposite. In the restaurant much of the personnel was originally East-European and during our breakfast on day 2 6 of them were having a conversation we could have easily followed if we had spoken their language. It looked like the restaurant was over-staffed because they were always hanging around.
Diamond regcognition : None. Nothing at check-in. I went to reception on our second day and was told they would normally give some kind of present but had nothing. Instead they would give some extra points. I did not ask how much, I was just perplexed they had nothing if you see what they are selling in their trading post. :-) Very cheap excuse...

BW Plus Silver Saddle
The hotel is located outside of the center of Estes Park. Just 2 minutes by car maybe but I wouldn't advice walking to the center as it's along a busy street, I don't even know if a sidewalk is present.
Like so many best western hotels this is also a motel style complex.
We had a single queen room reserved and at check-in were assigned a king-room with mountain view. I wouldn't call it a "room with a view" as the mountains were hiding behind some bushes planted in front of the room. On the positive side the room is at the back of the hotel that has only 8 rooms or so so we had fewer people passing our room and a view on some bushes still beats a view on a parking lot or the street.
The room was clean, everything in good working order. Only minor negative point could be that the room was rather small, we had to be a bit inventive to find room for our 2 large suitcases.
Bfast here was a little bit better than what we were used getting for free in hotels like (Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn and the likes). Don't get your expectations too high however, still the usual eggs and sausages however a little bit more choice in Yoghurt and fruit and some extra nuts, raisins to add to your cereals. These small touches did score them some extra points :-).

I should say from my experience in these 3 hotels right now I don't quite understand why some hotels are Premier and others Plus. The Tuscan looked much more Premier to me than the Squire Inn and Ruby's Inn cannot be compared with The Tuscan. It may not always be easy to compare a hotel in a big city like SF with one in a small touristic place like Bryce Canyon, still, they're miles away from each other both in quality of the room as well as in service.

Final ranking of these 4 hotels:
1) The Tuscan, when I'm back in SF I would opt to stay here again
2) Grand Canyon Squire Inn, a bit on the expensive side still beats Silver Saddle when it comes to service
3) Silver Saddle, close to Grand Canyon Squire Inn but we experienced slightly better service in the latter
4) Ruby's Inn, no way they will see me here again

Last edited by kcaluwae; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:20 am Reason: Added Silver Saddle