FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minors Flying alone (not UM)
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:35 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by foodgeek
She'll have her global entry card for ID, a cell phone and more cash than we think she'll need, plus paper copies of her itinerary and emergency contact numbers at both ends. No checked bag, just a light carry-on and a personal item.
Have you talked to your daughter about how to handle the cash?

When I started traveling solo my father taught me about cash, tipping, "hiring" a porter/taxi, and similar skills most of us probably take for granted now.

Cash: don't keep it all in one place; split it between pockets and both bags. Don't take out the whole wad and peel off the $2 for a soda - only remove the two singles from your wallet. Put the smaller bills on the outside. In other words, don't make yourself a target for thieves.

It sounds like tipping isn't a situation she's likely to encounter this trip, but you might have a conversation about how to pay in restaurants while you're talking about other travel skills.

At 12 your daughter also isn't too young for you to have a conversation about men who like young girls. Reinforce that if anyone insists on talking to her or otherwise makes her uncomfortable, she should not "be polite" but rather ask an adult to intervene. I'm not saying she shouldn't sit next to a man on the plane (hey, women can be predators, too ) but she should know that if she is uncomfortable with the way someone is talking to her/asking personal questions, she should clearly state that to the FA and ask to be moved.

The more prepared a kid is, the safer she will be. Then you can let her travel all over!