FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AKS120 goes to Asia on Miles (F&J)- BA, KA, MI, KA, QR, Hilton & IC Hotels
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:08 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Double Tree by Hilton Old Town Doha

Name:  IMG_2960.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  876.6 KB

This hotel was chosen as it is close by the airport and is brand new - having only opened in Dec. It has great write ups so I thought I would give it a go, especially since it is a member of Hilton and I get to count it against my stays!

Check in

Name:  IMG_2971.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  813.8 KB

Check in was quick but a little strange - I am not sure the lady actually listened to me once during our conversation but I ended up with a key to a room - upgraded room so I guess she did her job!

Room

Name:  IMG_2956.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  532.8 KB

I had booked a basic King Guest room and got the same but with a 'sea view'. The room was really nice but I don't think I got much of an upgrade - I don't mean to sound ungrateful but if you tell me it is an upgrade then it should be - not just on a better side of the hotel!

Name:  IMG_2957.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  389.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2958.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  626.6 KB

Lounge

There was no lounge here but I got a 50QAR voucher off food and a free drinks voucher to make up for the lack of lounge - to be fair I had to ask about lounge access - it was not offered but hey ho - you need to be necky to get everything out of these hotels!

I took my vouchers up to the rooftop bar - it was quite stunning as it had some great music on, a wonderful view of the sea and port and sun.

Name:  IMG_2963.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  727.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2964.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  954.4 KB

I went to bed pretty early as I had an oh my god start in the morning again - why do I do this to myself?? The room was good but the boy racers with their ferraris and lambos were racing up and down the strip outside my room all night - it was rather annoying to be honest! So I barely slept and was then woken at 0345 by my alarm. Not a great combination but luckily I did not have to chat to anyone for a good few hours!

I was offered the hotel car to the airport for the same price as a taxi due to the hour - I took it but wished I hadn't. Not sure if the guy was drunk, tired or just a really bad driver but we were constantly tooted at, flashed at and he appeared unable to stay in lane for longer than 5 secs- I will be writing to the hotel about him! I also found out the that price would not have beent he same as a taxi at all – so overall I felt completely conned into taking the car and unsafe whilst using it – beware!

The hotel was nice - very modern and central - I would stay here again (but not take the car!). Next stop A380 First Class
Attached Images