FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shangri-La Tokyo, Mandapa, Chedi Club, Amanjiwo...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:48 am
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Amanjiwo ... What can I say, a different level of service. You must experience it to understand.
Amanjiwo is out-of-this-world service wise
Amanjiwo drivers are all amazing, but Arifin, who loves cycling and lives in a village next to the hotel was a gift! I asked Maya...She assigned Arifin
already many great details!

btw re amantaka and photography >
Originally Posted by halibahs
Gary advised us to go downstream to Hans Berger residence for a late lunch. Since my partner is a photographer, Gary was kind enough to arrange with Hans so that he will be able to meet us there. Hans Berger is a german photographer who has been working closely with the monks in Luang Prabang for nearly 20 years, documenting their ceremonies and daily lives. Some of his work on display in the property are truly wonderful. Few years ago, a very senior abbot has entrusted him with thousands of photographs which he hid in cupboards for years of communist reign. The photos are of local monks and most were taken by themselves. Hans has archived these meticulously. Some of the photos were exhibited in a special room in Amantaka and it was wonderful for these pictures to see daylight again after surviving years of turmoil. His lovely house was perched right by a bent on the Mekong and we had lunch at the outdoor Bale. Hans is an absolute gentleman and we had a very inspiring chat. The stretch of river was idyllic and we had a lovely sunset on our way back. But we felt that being able to meet Hans has topped the experience.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:55 am