FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flights/Points Question - Cost vs. Convenience. What would you do?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:51 pm
aeg42

Flights/Points Question - Cost vs. Convenience. What would you do?

Going to London in September for a few days, and looking at options to get home (NYC). Want to spend the least amount of actual cash possible, but also fly home in a class better than economy. Here are some options I've come up with. Interested in people's opinions and also if anybody has other ideas that I missed that are cheaper/better.

1. Transfer 21k Amex points to Virgin (currently 30% bonus), fly home in Premium Economy, pay stupid Heathrow "departure tax" and even stupider Virgin "fuel surcharge" of roughly $395 ($100 of which I can knock off by using my Arrival+ and redeeming 10k points I have left over).

2. Transfer 31k Amex points to Virgin (currently 30% bonus), fly home in Upper Class, pay Heathrow "departure tax" and Virgin "fuel surcharge" of roughly $472 (same -$100 with Arrival+).

3. EuroStar to Paris for $70, free hotel night near CDG, fly back next morning in business class for 57.5k United points + $171 in taxes/fees.

I have enough points in any programs I want/need to be able to book hotel nights and or flights (Chase, Amex, Citi, SPG, Hilton, Marriott, IHG, etc).

EDIT: I should add that this would be either to fly home afternoon/evening of 9/13 or morning of 9/14.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by aeg42; May 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reason: adding information