FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBC: Air Canada passenger suffers 'horrible pain' after being stuck in cramped seat
Old May 30, 2016, 7:39 am
epiphani

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
From the article: "Air Canada told Go Public in an email there is no conclusive medical evidence specifically linking deep vein thrombosis with flying."

A very easy position to take, as long as there is a single dissenting voice. Heck, we're still debating whether smoking causes cancer. AC has seen fit to mention DVT on its website in the 'special needs - medical' section. It doesn't go so far as to say flying causes DVT, but I interpret its inclusion as a tacit acknowledgment that sitting for extended periods at the very least exacerbates a pre-existing condition. It's a stretch to claim there is no link between flying and DVT, unless we intend to be hyper-literal. Sure, it ain't the flying that causes/worsens DVT, but sitting in horrid Y seats is certainly a factor for those at risk to get it - regardless if there is air between the wheels and the ground.
Difficult situation for AC in any circumstance. They're probably right re DVT, but at the same time this gentleman probably had his DVT experience triggered by flying. He may have never experienced it otherwise.

AC's cabin configuration is basically competitive. Price per seat is directly related to seats per aircraft, and AC isn't that badly off on pricing anymore. They used to be way worse. So... Airline you want to be, or airline that exists? Without _international_ agreements, the drive to the bottom on seat size and legroom continues.

We can all complain, and I'd be the first one to jump in favor of more legroom... but at the same time, if AC becomes 20% more expensive, I would have a harder time flying them as much as I do. People do NOT look at comfort when booking their once-every-five-years trip. They look at price. And I would bet this guy, given he was in Y in the first place, was not prepared to pay extra for comfort.

Personally... I pay for comfort. I find more than 2 hours in non-preferred Y horribly uncomfortable - and I'm 5'11" and 180lbs - not big/tall in comparison to many. I'm in preferred due to status or upgrade just about anything longer than 3 hours. Any TPAC/TATL are paid J, and I still feel like crap after a moderately long trip. Flying, even in the most comfortable seat AC provides, is not enjoyable.

Last edited by epiphani; May 30, 2016 at 7:44 am