FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I want to earn AMEX MR?
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2016, 4:32 pm
farnorthtrader

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Greetings, I recently signed up for a bunch of CC's including AMEX Delta and AMEX GPR earning MR. Now that I've collected bonuses and scheduled my trips (big thanks to Chase, AMEX, Captial One, and this forum) I'm facing the decision of which card(s) I want to use for daily purchases. And I just can't see why in the world I'd be using the AMEX cards. Between Capital One Venture earning 2 miles per $1 spent and Sapphire from Chase paying double for dining and earning more valuable UR, I'm covered. The only cool spending perk from the AMEX GPR card is it gives 3 points per $1 spent on airfair. Well, but if the whole point of getting points is to spend them on airfare, then it's not really a perk I can use. I find that earning 2x by using the Venture CC on any purchases and then simply using those miles to buy the lowest airfare or hotel price offered by anybody on the interent is the best way to go. The only exception is dining or travel purchases that you're not redeeming with points, in which case I use the Sapphire since it earns 2x UR which are more valuable than MR.

I'm not a frequent flier and if I do fly on vacation trips, it's primarily within the North and Latin Americas. With such profile is there any benefit in using AMEX other than simply thanking them for giving me the sign-up bonus? Thank you in advance for ideas.

DJR
At the risk of getting on topic , a domestic and Latin America flyer might want to collect MR to transfer to Avios for 7500 mile tickets on American Airlines or slightly higher flights on LAN that would be more expensive with other programs.