FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016
Old May 29, 2016, 9:50 am
Sisyphus1carus

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I've been looking to get out to South Africa to do a bit of wildlife spotting but also to get a load of flying time under my belt as practice for my PPL which I've started off in the UK. Its so much cheaper in SA.
I was looking more at CPT but with Jo'burg (& to a lesser extent, Nairobi) in the first badge it seems sensible to head for one of those although there are cheaper prices (in biz) to CPT I've been informed.

So I'm umming and arring at the moment.
I've seen ARN-CPT in that time frame for £1141 (no badges)
LON-CPT (no badges but convenient for me) £1650
ARN-JNB £1141 (one badge, 1st)
TXL-JNB £1520 (two badges, 1st & 2nd)
MIL-JNB £1650 (two badges, 1st & 2nd)

So I'm currently trying to weigh up whether to do BER-JHB for £1520 for the first two badges or save myself £400 towards another trip for the 2nd badge somewhere else.
It probably makes more sense if I am going to really target the 4 badges to go for the pricier option upfront (costing £760 per badge for the first two + one holiday) vs the cheaper flight now to save £400 but cost me £1140 per badge for the 1st badge.

If I wasn't going to go for the Globetrotter campaign this year I'd of course be heading to ARN (need to look at the other Scandi airports yet) but going from BER seems to make more financial sense in the long run given that I'll need to minimise my actual holidays this year due to the expense of getting a PPL and a few other hefty outgoings this year.
Just doesn't feel right in my head to pay £400 for (almost) the same flights !!

However its unlikely I'd be able to complete the 3rd & 4th badges out of one return journey given that the period you'd need to be travelling includes the 25th Dec - 1st Jan so that'll be two seperate trips I suspect, so if I want to complete the 4 badges in less than 4 return journeys I'll need to double up on this first one. Hmm... Unles I can double up between the 3rd & 4th. Aaaaagh.

What dilemmas is this Globetrotter campaign putting other people in ?!

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on my plans ?

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; May 29, 2016 at 11:12 am