FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]
Old May 27, 2016, 10:13 am
oblisk

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Nothing for me. Bummer. Good chance I would paid more to fly UA on an upcoming trip.

The reports I'm seeing make sense. People don't realize that, by and large, promotions are not "fair and equal" and are intended to reward the "less deserving". If they were only designed for the best customers, it's like throwing money down a hole. Maybe the higher elites would rather have nothing...
My take on it is they variability is so broad, that it can be insulting to those at the top. If united simply had 4 different promos at different spend thresholds. E.g. $500 /1500 / 2500 (bottom threshold) and $15k / 20k / 25k (Top threshold) with 50k max to 150k max miles, but a constant upward sloping curvature. People would have been oh its a nice bonus.

But seeing the variability of one person 12k spend gets 210k miles vs. a 50k+ spend only getting 200k miles. Its a little disheartening, that the reward slopes can be inverted.