FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning a trip to the Lisbon area -- need your insights?
Old May 26, 2016, 2:44 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by catgirl
Planning a trip to the Lisbon area for late November. We will be based out of an apartment in (central) Cascais for 6 full days, and I am seeking advice, insights, must-do recommendations, and cautions for our time there. Our plan is to spend some time in Cascais and also to make day-trips to other areas.

I have only just started researching the area, but it looks like 2/3 day trips into Lisbon should give us sufficient time for the city. I understand that Lisbon is a 30-minute one-way train ride from Cascais with frequent service. Also thinking 1 day to Sintra. What else? From what I've read, public transport seems to be plentiful and frequent, correct? We are not planning to rent a vehicle.

Our interests are hiking, culture, and food. While we enjoy history and architecture, we also have a tendency to get "churched-out" or "museum'd-out" if we have too many days in a row. We normally also enjoy kayaking but I don't think this is the right time of the year for water sports .

Is it worthwhile to take a "guided tour" for portions of our time there? I'm thinking specifically about the history/architecture parts since sometimes a guided tour with someone pointing out things to you can be more interesting than if you just wander around by yourself.

Advice and insights appreciated!
Relax - you'll enjoy your visit just playing it by ear: Lisbon is a compact city.

Public transport is good, but if you need to save time, taxis are pretty cheap (uber even better).

If you do only one museum, I rate highly the Museu Nacional do Azulejo (azulejos are decorative tiles) - it's off the beaten track, but you learn a bit about Portuguese and Iberian history while enjoying some exquisite art in a delightful venue.

Kayaking? There are some opportunities on the river, just 20 minutes by train from Lisbon at Vila Franca de Xira. The town has developed its waterfront position with a marina, and the great advantage is that tourist traffic is virtually zero. AND you can see a glorious display of azulejos on the main building of the rail station

They have a bull-running festival, but i think that's in October.

https://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...a_de_Xira.html

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 26, 2016 at 2:49 pm