FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I want to earn AMEX MR?
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2016, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DjRocket
Would you please elaborate a little further? I just got 65k points on my Sapphire and quite satisfied with that.
Questions about Chase Ultimate Rewards are, of course, best researched in the Chase forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards-722/

Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards are similar programs. The highest monetary value is achieved by transferring points to airline partners and redeeming for what would be expensive tickets. What sets Ultimate Rewards apart from Membership Rewards are:

1. The transfer partners. American Express has more partners, but Chase has a couple of exclusive partnerships that many consider valuable (United Airlines and Hyatt Hotels). This factor is less important in your case where transferring is not a good fit.

2. Chase has cards that earn 5 points per dollar (as mentioned in my previous post). If you are going to use UR points to purchase revenue tickets at $0.0125 per point, it's much better to earn 5 points per dollar (5x0.0125=6.25%) than to use Sapphire or Venture.

Whether you need to keep Sapphire in addition to Freedom and Ink depends on whether you intend to transfer to airline or hotel partners, on which INK card you choose, and on how much you value the benefits provided by Sapphire. Proceed slowly, you don't need three Chase cards immediately, but if you like the program for the longterm you will want more than one, and you will need the discipline to use the best card for each merchant.