FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Student Studying Abroad in Singapore at NUS
Old May 25, 2016, 3:49 am
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by BOSishome
If not, what is the neighborhood like around NUS? Are there apartment buildings? Is there nightlife that students frequent?

Singapore is clearly a dense, active city, but if the campus is in a boring part of the city, that might dissuade me.
OK, seems you need to do some homework in terms of lodging situation in Singapore. I do not know what your expectations are, but better to get it in line with reality before arrive here.

I would encourage you to get lodging situation clarified way beforehand your arrival to avoid literally being homeless. If you can't get room at campus your only choice is to rent a room somewhere else and you need to be aware what prices for rooms/apartments are in Singapore. On my street (which is in about 15 min bus ride to NUS) there is international student hostel and students there are paying SGD $1500/mo to share a room. And there are 2-3 people sharing room.

You might find those prices shocking but it is the reality which you have to deal with. You might be lucky to get a room at campus, but they are still $25-$35 per night, there is no such thing as 'free accommodation' in Singapore.

Now regarding life and lightlife - campus activity at NUS is vibrant and every single week there there was something going on. Plus, the campus is not any mean small - take a look here http://www.streetdirectory.com/asiat...s/70624/43380/ or at google maps.

Obviously most nightlife is concentrated at downtown. If you want to live there, take note that rent for rooms start from $2500/mo.

Last edited by invisible; May 28, 2016 at 11:12 pm