FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do I want to earn AMEX MR?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2016, 11:02 am
DjRocket

Originally Posted by garykung
Unless you are a big spender, or most of your daily purchase can fall into a bonus category of a card, earning from your daily purchase is not significant enough to make a difference..
Well, I try to pay all my bills + mortgage + retirement fund with a credit card, so it accumulates to make enough difference to me. And unless it's a dining or travel expense, in which case Sapphire is more preferable, I see nothing that beats Venture 2x miles per $1 spent. (this of course excludes occasional promotions by some cards like 5% cashback and considerations like FC upgrades). So I put away my AMEX card but my inner annoying voice keeps saying "nobody's talking about Venture and people use AMEX, you got this wrong" LOL But I don't see how I can be wrong here.

Regarding purchase protection, I can't remember last time I had an issue with returns (knock on wood), so I don't consider it to be a valuable perk.

EDIT: And again, the point here is not about perks that come by virtue of simply having the card, but rather about the value of using the card to rack up points to buy plane tickets or what have you.

Thanks,

DJR

Last edited by DjRocket; May 24, 2016 at 11:11 am